Breaking News: Sign up for June 2009 Training Programs!
Thousands of members of our Washington State National Guard have deployed, chiefly to Iraq. Deployment places additional demands on our military personnel and their family members. As members of the legal community, we can offer our specialized skills to assist our citizen soldiers, their family members, as well as our fellow attorneys in uniformed service.
The Guard members and their immediate families need legal services before, during, and after deployment. Unlike active military personnel, Guard family members may not have convenient access to a military base or a military legal assistance office. Military legal staff and resources are stretched to focus on deployment readiness. Civilian attorneys can offer assistance in areas of law such as landlord-tenant, consumer law, family law, immigration, and other related issues.
You are invited to join a developing network of civilian volunteers throughout Washington State willing to provide limited legal services to service members and their immediate families. Staffing is needed for a network of pro bono clinics in a variety of locations. To ensure an adequate network, the development of a volunteer attorney roster is underway. In addition, please consider joining growing referral lists of volunteer attorneys willing to take pro bono cases.
To volunteer for a clinic, to join the referral list, or to learn more, please contact AttorneysEnlist@gmail.com immediately, or telephone Captain Alex Straub, Washington National Guard Legal Assistance Attorney, at 253-512-8262 today.
This project can offer you training and CLE credit (either live or as a set of DVDs of up to 5 AV/CLE credits (0.5 ethics). More importantly, the project is an opportunity to support our fellow citizens and military family members who are directly affected by the war. Time is of the essence; we should all do our part. Contact AttorneysEnlist@gmail.com today!
In the News
- AACF: An Army Acronym that Helps People – Washington State Bar News, June 2010
- Commander: “Christmas is just another day” in Iraq – Seattle Times, August 23, 2008
- Supporting Our Troops: Providing Pro Bono Service to National Guard Members – Washington State Bar News, December 2008
- The Man Who Gave a Big Boost to Citizen-Soldiers (article about Maj. Gen. Timothy Lowenberg ) – Seattle Times, September 1, 2008
- Washington National Guard Brigade Heads Back to Iraq – Seattle Times, August 31, 2008
- Members of 81st Brigade Are Off to Serve Again – Seattle Times, August 20, 2008